My first mood board had to be about feathers as I LOVE them! There is a feather in my logo and this motif is really important to my brand identity. The word Arnold comes from my Grampy who was a pigeon racer, and Bird comes from my Gran’s maiden name. I love the combination of the two names together and the fact that both have a connection to feathers.
Personally, I see feathers as more of a theme, rather than a trend. They’ve been around for a while but there is so much design potential in this pretty and delicate motif as summarised below.
Key design styles I’m inspired by:
- Taking the feather shape as an outline and adding different patterns within this – geometrics, florals or natural influences compliment well and would look gorgeous
- Cut away details on a feather add a different motif element and visual interest to this simple silhouette. How about recreating this idea in paper, metal or fabric?
- The use of real feathers in make-up, jewellery and fashion means you can go subtle for a delicate look or bold for real impact!
- Feathers used on arrows are perfect for anniversaries, Valentine’s day or as a gift for the one you love
- Pastel tints, metallics or bright and bold hues – feathers really do work well in a range of colour ways
Image sources (clockwise from top left): 1. The Thinks 2. Anthropologie 3. Backstage at Elie Saab Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2016 4. Carlos Palma 5. Chris Maynard 6. Shop Wild Cotton 7. Wicked Jealous 8. Creative Market